Saturday, October 23, 2010

How, as an American, do I depend on God?

I don’t think there is any one answer to this question; it may be different for everyone. But here are a few thoughts for the average American: when Christ said that, “it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God!…Humanly speaking, it is impossible, but with God everything is possible;” I think He had America on His mind (Mathew 19:16-26, New Living Translation). Considering that only twenty percent of world lives on seventy dollars a day, forty percent of the world lives on less then two dollars a day, and eight percent of the world owns a car, we can see that the average American is rich.

Why does Jesus say it is so hard for a rich person to enter heaven? I think it is because we depend on ourselves and our riches rather then depending on God. Why do I need God: if when I am sick, I can just go to the doctor or the (24 hour) pharmacy and get some medicine, if I am hungry I can make some food or stop by a (24 hour) fast food restaurant, if I don’t have money I can most likely get a job and at least make minimum wage, if when I am bored, depressed, or upset I can distract myself with TV, movies, video games, the internet, or shopping. Why do I need Jesus on a daily basis if all my needs and wants are being met?

I realize that my relationship with Christ should not be based on my needs being met. I am grateful and understand that Christ created me, died for my sins, and has given me grace and a future with Him. I serve Him because of who He is and not what he does for me, but is this enough to make me dependent on Him?

How do I depend on him?

Do I need to become poor? No, I am sure this is a great way for some people to truly depend on God, but that is too literal of a translation of the Bible for me, it is a little ridiculous…(Mathew 19:21-22).

Do I need to live on a budget and give away ALL the excess money to my church or an organization that helps the poor? No, that would be too extreme, besides God has blessed me with money and I need to provide for myself and my family and give some to Him, because that is what the Bible tells me to do…(Mathew 6:19-21 and Mark 12:41-44).

Do I need to give up comfortable life in American and go somewhere else to serve others? No, I have a great job, a house and I can’t leave my parents or extended family; Christ is not calling me to do that…(Matthew 4:21-22,  8:21-22 and 9:9)

Do I need to serve those in prison, those who are sick or travel to a dangerous place to be with others? No, Christ is there to protect me and keep me safe…wait Jesus died doing ministry…and if we are his disciples then…(Mathew 10:28 and 38-39).

It looks like, according to scripture, that disciples of Christ did leave their jobs and their families to follow Him and that it is more important to follow Christ then to tend to parents or extended family or have your own house to sleep in.  The more I read and look at Jesus life, the more I see a poor, dangerous, homeless, and radical person; and the more I question whether I am a true disciple of Christ.

My intention is not to make us feel guilt or shame, but to encourage us to think and pray about how God is calling us to have an impact in His Kingdom. I have recently been praying, “Lord break my heart for the things that break your heart,” and then I pray, “Lord put me in the place where I can be most effective for your kingdom.” When I say these prayers, I believe that God will direct my life (through my desires, talents, weaknesses and dreams) into places that I can have an impact in His kingdom. I don’t care what happens to me on this earth, as long as I know I am making a difference in other peoples lives for eternity.

2 comments:

  1. You both are amazing. I totally wish I could be there with you both and experience how amazing God truly is. Unfortunately I am very sick, and I more than likely won't be able to go to Tanzania in the spring. I will email you. I've been praying for you both. I'm glad to see you both are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! I struggled through this issue myself when I returned from Argentina.

    A lot of American Christians focus on their lack of dependence on God for material needs as a lack of dependence on Him completely. True, Americans have nowhere near the material need of other countries. However the needs of man for God transcend time, culture, and country. This is because man's deepest needs are not food, clothing, shelter, or good health.

    I read a Christian psychologist who identified three levels of mans needs/longings.

    CASUAL - Most things material fit into this category: health, food, shelter, clothing, work.

    CRUCIAL - Relationships which bring love, belonging, acceptance, etc.

    CRITICAL - God

    Most Americans do not depend directly on God for their casual needs to be met. This itself is a great blessing that should inspire gratitude and a sense of responsibility to use our "talents" well--to whom much is given, much is required.

    However, there are other levels of needs that I must depend on God for. Trusting Him only for material needs is insufficient: "Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes."

    He commands me to trust Him with my entire heart, my existence, my identity, my life--all my ways.

    (I'll share personally what this means for me, but I'm at Starbucks using the internet and they are closing)

    ReplyDelete